Stuck Writing? — Writer’s Block Survival 101

How often is it that after hours of procrastinating, you motivate yourself to finally start the essay due at 11:59pm that night? It takes a lot of work, doesn’t it? You plug in your laptop, turn it on, open Google Classroom, create a new document, and hover your fingers over your keyboard preparing to type. But nothing comes to your mind. Absolutely nothing. Quite frankly, for many of us, this is the process we go through before every written masterpiece of ours (although sometimes it just turns out to look like a bunch of words vomited on your page). Regardless, we have all faced some type of writer’s block in our lives when trying to clearly articulate and express our ideas on paper. Be that as it may, here are some tips to help you overcome your writer’s block quickly and ensure that your ideas are flowing and words are being typed rapidly! Next time you find yourself getting stuck, be sure to try using at least a few of these tips. 

1. Recognize and ACCEPT that you are stuck. This is perhaps the most difficult step: to admit that you have a problem. While it’s very easy to deny, voluntarily or not, that we cannot write easily, by acknowledging this fact, it will ensure that you’re not simply forcing words together to form sentences and finish an essay. 

2. Identify the cause of the block. As John from Easytotire recommends, ask yourself the following questions to determine an answer:

• What happens to me when I start writing?
  • What are my emotions at this moment?
  • Do I have a more or less clear idea of ​​what I want to write?
  • Do I still have faith in my topic?
  • Can I concentrate properly? Can I ignore the rest of my life during writing?
  • Am I in an environment that suits me?

3. Take a break without guilt and without worrying about what other people will say. That break will help cool your mind and truly provide meaningful thoughts in the long run. 

4. Read!! Reading is often a great source of motivation and inspiration, and also entertainment. Reading helps to clear the mind and to escape, to think of something else. It also connects you with what you may truly enjoy about writing. 

5. Ultimately, write something else if you need to. While this may not work for essay writing completely, it still can be accomplished by pivoting and choosing a different thesis or argument for your paper. After you have exhausted all potential ideas for a subject, it may sometimes be best to leave your piece of writing aside to write something else, preferably something much different to get your ideas flowing again. 

Krisha Patel
Krisha is a junior from Schaumburg who lives in 1506A. She is very excited to serve as the Lifestyle Section Editor during the 2019-2020 school year. Besides The Acronym, she enjoys entrepreneurship, medicine, dancing, and simply spending time with her friends and family!

Be the first to comment on "Stuck Writing? — Writer’s Block Survival 101"