TIME: 4 weeks
In this unit, students will read a brief essay entitled 「はがきを書こう！」 (“Let’s Write Postcards!”). It makes references to new years cards and how to write them. Students will learn strategies for improved reading comprehension—even if the reading selection is beyond the reader’s abilitiy level. Students will also learn and practice new vocabulary, kanji, and grammatical patterns that they will encounter in the essay.
By the end of this unit, you will be able to:
- read with more confidence.
- use a wider variety of sentence patterns, including compound and complex sentences.
By the end of this unit, you will have learned:
- how to analyze more complex sentences and sentences that contain vocabulary and grammatical patterns that you have not learned or studied before.
- a higher level strategy for making sense out of written Japanese, i,e, how sentences relate to each other in paragraphs, and how paragraphs relate to each other.
- new kanji from the essay.
- new grammatical patterns found in the essay.