How to be a Good Leader: A Conversation with StudCo’s President

Student Involved in Multiple IMSA Leadership Positions | Source: EmmaLi Isham

A leader is like a flowing river—it takes different forms to adapt to different environments. But most importantly, it provides vital nutrients to its surroundings and its peers. This might lead you to wonder: how do you become a good leader at a place like IMSA? 

So why not hear it from the Student Council’s president herself, Emmali Isham (’25)!

How do you define leadership?

Emmali: Leadership is vague. I mean, that’s kind of the point, isn’t it? A leader doesn’t have to be defined by a strict definition of “commanding a group” or “fostering good relationships with others.” But that’s exactly where IMSA students differentiate themselves from their peers. It’s up to you to create your own version of yourself to help “lead” those around you. 

What kinds of leadership positions have you been involved in at IMSA?

Emmali: Starting my sophomore year, I was primarily involved in IMSA’s Student Coalition of Racial Justice (SCRJ) and the International Youth Neuroscience Association (IYNA). I became Co-head of the SCRJ Media Team and Vice-President of IYNA my junior year. Additionally, I was elected 1502 Hall Senator. By my senior year, I was elected Co-President of IYNA and Student Council (StudCo) President.

In these roles, I led various initiatives. For SCRJ, I oversaw the creation of graphics and communications for the team. For IYNA, I serve as the primary communicator between our organization and Medicine for Minorities, as well as Project Synapse, a group of Northwestern neurosurgeons. On StudCo, I have previously chaired the Lexington Committee and StudCart, and this year I will lead the entire board. I also engage in other passionate work outside of these roles!

Did any of these positions stand out to you for any reason? Why or why not?

Emmali: Among my extracurricular activities, StudCo and IYNA consume most of my time, but I am truly passionate about them. Being StudCo President demands a lot, so I work daily to keep the council focused, organized, and productive. It’s tiring but rewarding. IYNA is the club I have been with the longest. I love working with my team to brainstorm events, from brain dissections to trips to Northwestern. I enjoy collaborating and learning from all our activities. IYNA has opened many opportunities for me, for which I am very grateful.

How have you seen yourself grow as a leader through your time at IMSA?

Emmali: Honestly, I didn’t fully understand what it meant to be a real leader until I got to IMSA. Initially, my biggest flaws were having unrealistic expectations, being biased, speaking without thinking, and being too easily persuaded. I overcame most of these during my sophomore year as I matured. As a junior, I learned a lot about managing teams through StudCo, managing entire projects from start to finish. This experience gave me a broader view of leadership and teamwork.

I became a stronger leader through continuous learning and adaptation, taking on tasks to strengthen my communication, organization, and collaboration skills. I learned from others I admired, such as the previous StudCo President Maggie DiMarco. I built my project teams and got to know them personally. Most importantly, I developed resilience, empathy, humility, and authenticity, which have shaped me into the leader I am today.

What advice would you give to incoming Sophomores looking to be future leaders?

Emmali: LEAD by example. This is going to sound so nerdy, but take Napoleon Bonaparte, one of the best military generals in history. The reason Bonaparte’s men respected him is because he was on the front lines with them. At the time and to this day, it is common for military officers to remain at the back of line to command. Whereas, when you’re fighting with your soldiers, rather than commanding them to fight, you tend to gain a lot of respect. Leadership is the exact same; you gain respect by working with your team, not just directing them.

However, being a leader doesn’t mean overburdening yourself or others. Show empathy and grace while maintaining solid boundaries. Be ready to have mature conversations when needed. Be reasonable, respectful, and do not put yourself on a pedestal. You’re going to make mistakes, and that’s okay! Take constructive criticism and use it to grow.

What advice would you give to current IMSA students looking to become more involved in their community?

Emmali: Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back. Just go for it. Apply for that club, position, or try out for that play! If you get rejected, remember that rejection is redirection. If you need help, reach out to an upperclassman, friend, or even me, your President! Your opportunities at IMSA are boundless, and you can achieve great things if you put yourself out there.

Sumaer Gupta
Sumaer Gupta is a Junior at IMSA who lives in 1505 D-Wing. Within the Acronym, Sumaer is the Section Editor for the World News and Opinions sections. He also likes to partake in Congressional Debate, Student Council, and Entrepreneurship clubs at IMSA such as TALENT.

Be the first to comment on "How to be a Good Leader: A Conversation with StudCo’s President"