This article was written to voice one of the staff members in IMSA who remains unrecognized. She deserves to share her story and notion about her workplace. Working hard, day after day, for the other students and staff, Mary finally is heard.
- Tell me about yourself. Where you grew up, where you went to school, and how you chose your profession?
My name is Mary Webber. I grew up in Aurora Illinois graduated from East Aurora High school. I have 2 daughters, 2 sons, and 8 grandkids. They keep me busy!
- What was the most important decision you made in your life?
I never have had to make a difficult decision. I have liked life so far, it’s been easy, not too demanding.
- What have been your proudest moments or greatest accomplishments?
When my daughter got married in Vegas last year. I was so proud of her. It was the first time I went to Vegas and first time I rode in a plane. The night life there was something! I’m never going to forget it!
- What made you want to work at Sodexo?
When my 15 year old grandson was a month old, I was inspired (by him) to come work at Sodexo. I was a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) but wanted to do something with food. Food is always good and what’s better than working with it?
- How long have you been working here?
- What is your favorite part about your job?
I love serving the kids because all you guys and young ladies are always very polite and nice. I never had a problem with any kids while working here all five years.
I have no negatives at all. I like coming here every day. Talking to people and having fun behind the scenes is also fun. We just joke around back there. We keep the jokes clean though! We have to do that or it would be boring!
- What’s your favorite part about IMSA?
I just like IMSA because when people ask me where you work at I don’t say Sodexo, I say IMSA. Then they say “Oh wow.” It’s nice.
I don’t go out there (outside of Sodexo) that much I stay I here in the cafeteria. Working with all people is always fun including the other Sodexo staff and all you students. I think it’s a 100% rewarding.
- What’s your life like after work?
- Every day before I go home, I have to go shopping somewhere. It’s a daily thing.I usually stop at Walmart or Family Dollar to pick up pop or something like that. Pepsi is my favorite so that’s always good.
- What do you like to do in your free time?
- I like relaxing and watching television. I have a different show for every day of the week, Monday through Sunday. They’re entertaining.
- What are your plans for your future?
I am planning to move to Vegas; that one experience when my daughter got married bought me over. The night life and the attractions are going to be fun.
- Do you think working at IMSA was a worthwhile experience?
It was very rewarding because of the nice people and the food. I also stopped CNA work five years so I like it because that other job wasn’t as great.
- If you could change something about IMSA or Sodexo, what would it be?
(Laughing) Can’t answer that!
- What thing are you most passionate about?
Cars and money. My dream car would be a Lexus SUV.
- What is one piece of advice you would give the entire IMSA student body or the world?
When you leave out of here, continue in college somewhere. You do not want to be out on the streets. It is a lot trouble out on the streets.