Why YOU Need to be Happy!

“A merry heart goes all the day,

Your sad tires in a mile-a.”

– William Shakespeare

Waking up in the morning is the biggest struggle in my daily life. Every time I hear my alarm ringing, I wake up slightly saddened, as I will be soon separated from the comforts of my bed. I mindlessly shuffle into the bathroom to wash up and get ready for school. One morning, after seeing an incredibly unhappy face looking back at me in the mirror, I realized that misery had became a normal part of my daily routine. I’m not talking about the misery that Maroon 5 sings about. At least Adam Levine has somebody to keep him company and make his life somewhat interesting. I’m talking about the mentality that “MY LIFE SUCKS!”

It was after I recognized my unhappiness that I vowed to live a more positive life. I’m not going to lie. Being positive is really hard. It is hard when you are getting less than 5 hours of sleep. It is hard when you have to wake up for band at 7:30 AM. It is hard when almost everyone around you seems negative. But that is why we need to do it. We all strive to have fulfilling lives but we don’t understand what that means.

Let me ask you a question. Why do you work hard? For some, they work to find money, power, respect, and even love. However, all of these things do not always come with a nicely packaged box of happiness. We could have several sports cars, the president on speed dial, and the most attractive partner in the world but still come home unsatisfied and miserable. That is why your happiness shouldn’t be dependent on your circumstances or your achievements. You should find happiness despite the life’s obstacles and I AM GOING TO HELP YOU!

1.    Being Consistently Happy Takes Practice

As weird as it may sound, the ability to appreciate things in your life has actually nothing to do with what you actually do have. It’s about how you measure the good things in your life at any time. Life is going to have its highs and lows but I want you to practice wanting the things in your life. Think about the little things, like that good friend down the hall or LoL, that brings you happiness.  Then, your life will seem a bit sweeter. Don’t let your well-being depend on your circumstances.

2.    Being Happy can Lead to SUCCESS.

One study shows that being positive leads to increased productivity, long-lasting marriages, and a greater sense of well-being. (Here is the article: http://www.ppc.sas.upenn.edu/articlelyubomirsky.pdf. It is a pretty interesting read). So by just being more positive can help you increase concentration and perform better on tests. Also, last time I checked, it was a lot cheaper than caffeine. J

3.    Being Happy increases your Health.

Want to live a longer life? Then be happy! Over 160 studies show that there is a correlation between positivity and longevity. It isn’t a shocker that anxiety, depression, pessimism, and anger lead to an increased amount of stress hormones that are detrimental to your health.

4.    Your Happiness Affects Others

Joy is contagious. If people see you making the initiative towards a happier life, you can motivate others to do the same. You can help others gain positivity.

new-shoes-copy

If this orphan in Austria can find happiness in his situation, you can too!

As the eloquent philosopher once said, “YOLO.” Why spend your one life on pessimism? You don’t need to do anything drastic like bungee jumping or eating a pound of mayonnaise to make the most out of life. You just need to recognize the small little things in your life and cherish them. It is ultimately your choice to live a happy life so MAKE IT.

Be the first to comment on "Why YOU Need to be Happy!"