Humans of IMSA: Jake Akstins ’14

Story by: Irina Wirjan ’15, SCIA Student Representative

“When I first started MI3, I was struggling on the first one or two units. Then, after hours of studying, I got a 100 on a test. I raised my hands and asked Dr. Pat (jokingly) if I could take a lap around the school. He said yes, and I proceeded to do so.” — Jake on one of his most memorable moments at IMSA

“The decision to come to IMSA was actually a bit difficult for me. I didn’t want to leave the music programs I belonged to and my friends at home; however, the opportunity to live away from home was too tempting. I came here mostly to start growing independent and to also be exposed to more math.”

Greatest Lesson

“I’ve learned how to plan events and manage clubs really well while at IMSA. This is what I think will be most applicable to my future real world (non-IMSA Bubble, whoa) experiences.”

What would you change?

“I wish there was a way to curb the competitive nature of the classes. Also, I think that we should distinguish ourselves from other schools with a number or non A-D letter grading system; this would encourage our school to be looked at it in a different light in regards to college admissions.”

What is something you would tell yourself back when you were about to start sophomore year?

“I wish that I would’ve stayed in closer contact with my family and friends from home. Luckily, I’ve been fixing this issue more during the doldrums of senior year.”

Completed in collaboration with the Student Committee for IMSA Advancement (SCIA)

Be the first to comment on "Humans of IMSA: Jake Akstins ’14"