Spring has sprung — hopefully for good this time — and that means warm weather, cool winds, and the occasional rainy drizzle. But sometimes, we forget the spring weather is here. We’re so used to going to class and then heading straight back to our dorms that we let spring pass by us without any appreciation. To remedy that, here are five springtime activities you can do to appreciate this wonderful season.
- Open a window. This one is the simplest. While you’re whiling time away in your room, working on that problem set, take a couple of seconds to open your windows and let the cool breeze sweep your room. If you have trouble being productive outside, this a good way to enjoy the weather without affecting your homework schedule.
- Get a plant. Springtime is the perfect time to raise a new friend! Get a leafy plant or one that flowers, or even a cactus. Make sure to take care of it well by watering it and providing it with sunlight according to its specific needs.
- Stop to smell the roses. Well, let’s be honest, there aren’t any roses (or, indeed, flowers) just randomly placed around IMSA’s campus. But even if you don’t have much time to spend outside, you’re going to be making at least two treks between your dorm and the main building every school day, so don’t just mindlessly pass that time by. While you’re walking, take the time to appreciate the view around you. Feel the breeze on your bare arms and legs, and look around at blooming trees.
- Do some spring cleaning. Summer break is coming up, which means soon you’re going to have to pack everything up and drag it home soon. Get ahead start on this by organizing your room, throwing out things you don’t need, and just generally making sure you know where everything is.
- Have a picnic. Grab a couple of friends, a blanket, and some food, and walk out somewhere on IMSA’s sprawling campus. IMSA offers plenty of scenic green space in which to enjoy a picnic, or, if you don’t enjoy eating on the ground, there’s always the pavilion. Spend some time eating some good, simple food with friends in the warm weather.
Hopefully this list has provided you with some good ideas for springtime appreciation. The bottom line is this: get outside and find some way to enjoy the weather, whatever you’re doing. Don’t let spring pass you by! It will be gone before you know it.