Advice on Moving and Learning

“Ridiculous”

Sophomore year, if you asked me, “Hey, how is Moving and Learning?”, I would at best be able to spit back one word: ridiculous. Ridiculous, because that is the charm in Harry Potter that turns one’s greatest fear into something silly. Ridiculous, because for our first quiz I studied, researched, and wrote paragraphs on our sleep unit, and I received a lovely 0.5/4. Ridiculous, because why were multiple students leaving gym class in tears from frustration or inadequacy?

Cleaning Up My Misconceptions 

Since sophomore year, however, my thoughts on the class have changed. That being said, if I had a time-turner, leaving these notes in my sophomore year gym locker would definitely be on my agenda:

1. Moving and Learning is not a gym class.

Throughout the semester, there was only one day that we played tag, and it lasted five minutes to demonstrate our unit, energy input and output. The extent of physical movement in a day usually peaked at a five-minute warm-up or walking and talking. The class really focuses on learning, not moving. Of course, the curriculum will change each year, but going into Moving and Learning with the belief that you’re going to gym class is incredibly misleading. If this saddened you, as it did me, don’t worry! Sign up for Indoor/Outdoor Games if you want to play badminton to your heart’s fullest content. Until then, if you’re restless, find other ways to get physical activity in.

2. To get an A, you do not have to be a “teacher’s pet”. 

While, yes, participating is what I account for raising my grade, it wasn’t because I was constantly complimenting my teacher or scavenging every opportunity to talk to them. Instead, I thought about it as having a better attitude. Nobody would enjoy teaching a group of students entirely concerned with a letter rather than a lesson. Walking into the class, I would greet them to show that I was ready to learn, and stay after class to ask about questions I had on things such as Tai Chi or nutrition, in terms of my own life. Not only did my grade raise, but it was an important step in taking responsibility for my own body/health.

3. Doing the SMART goal and sleep project is not useless

Frankly, like any assignment, you can do it without putting in much effort. For Moving and Learning, I know I did; it seemed easier. However, seeing your assignments as work to complete will hinder them from helping you improve your health — a.k.a the point of the class. When I took Indoor/Outdoor, we were asked to set another goal. This time, I created and stuck by my goal and have been so grateful because of it. Health orientated SMART goals aren’t supposed to be an obstacle towards getting an A in their class, they’re an opportunity to improve your health because at IMSA it may be the first time some of us are taking control of our bodies fully. 

When in Doubt

Moving and Learning, largely because of its learning responsibility quizzes, is infamous for unpredictable grading. Some students ace the work easily while others (such as myself) find themselves failing. The fact is success in the class has as much to do with the amount you study as it does your willingness to learn. At the end of the day, if you’re struggling and stressed, go to one of Ms. Myer’s I-day yoga sessions. It’ll help you somehow.

Be the first to comment on "Advice on Moving and Learning"